- Fearful customers sensitive to size and scope of a data breach while angry customers are not May 16, 2019
Customers who feel afraid in the wake of a data breach care more about the size and scope of the breach than do angry customers, according to new research.
- New all-fiber device simplifies free-space based quantum key distribution May 6, 2019
Researchers have developed a simple and stable device to generate the quantum states necessary for quantum key distribution. The device could make it more practical to develop a global data network that uses this very secure method of encryption to protect everything from credit card transactions to texts.
- New way to improve cybersecurity April 17, 2019
Researchers may have identified a new way to improve network security.
- Photons trained for optical fiber obstacle course will deliver stronger cyber security April 4, 2019
Researchers demonstrate a way to improve quantum key distribution over fiber networks.
- Exchanging information securely using quantum communication in future fiber-optic networks February 28, 2019
Searching for better security during data transmission, governments and other organizations around the world have been investing in and developing technologies related to quantum communication and related encryption methods. Researchers are looking at how these new systems — which, in theory, would provide unhackable communication channels — can be integrated into existing and future fiber-optic […]
- Safeguarding hardware from cyberattack February 27, 2019
Researchers have developed an algorithm that safeguards hardware from attacks designed to steal data. In the attacks, hackers detect variations of power and electromagnetic radiation in an electronic device's hardware and use the variation to steal encrypted information.
- 'Immunizing' quantum bits so that they can grow up February 26, 2019
Qubits need a better immune system before they can grow up. A new material, engineered into a thin strip, is one step closer to 'immunizing' qubits against noise, such as heat and other parts of a computer, that interferes with how well they hold information.
- Most laptops vulnerable to attack via peripheral devices February 26, 2019
Many modern laptops and an increasing number of desktop computers are much more vulnerable to hacking through common plug-in devices than previously thought, according to new research.
- Entangling photons of different colors February 25, 2019
Researchers have developed a novel way to entangle two photons — one with a wavelength suitable for quantum-computing devices and the other for fiber-optics transmissions.
- Faster method to read quantum memory February 25, 2019
Scientists have developed a faster way to read information out of qubits, the basic building blocks of a quantum computer.